St Anne’s site has grown rapidly in the last century, to become an attractive mix of buildings set within five acres of grounds straddling the main Banbury and Woodstock Roads in central north Oxford.
Around the campus perimeter are 19 Victorian houses, all owned by the College, providing housing for 109 of our students and teaching rooms for many of our tutors. Within the campus itself are St Anne’s purpose-built facilities.
The College has a tradition of commissioning high quality modern buildings, beginning with Hartland House. This was designed by Giles Gilbert Scott, begun in 1937, and finished with an addition to the eastern end in 1973: it is listed Grade II. In it, you will find the College library, the Junior Common Room (for undergraduates) and Senior Common Room (for tutors), some tutors’ rooms, the Academic Office, Treasury, Development Office, and the Principal's Office.
The Dining Hall, designed by Gerald Banks, was formally opened by HM The Queen in 1959. Hot and cold meals are available every day throughout term-time, and the Hall can seat up to 300 at one sitting.
The Wolfson and Rayne buildings – which were designed by Howell, Killick, Partridge and Amis in 1964 – are also listed Grade II; the former received an RIBA award in 1966, while the latter received a Civic Trust Award in 1969. They comprise two four-storey halls of residence with 90 study-bedrooms. The Bursary occupies the ground floor offices in each building.
Founders’ Gatehouse was opened in 1966, and offers 21 study-bedrooms. It was also, until 2005, the home of the College Lodge, and still holds the pigeon-holes for all undergraduates, tutors and staff.
The Claire Palley Building and Mary Ogilvie Lecture Theatre were designed by the Alec French Partnership, and constructed in 1992; the buildings received an RIBA Regional Award in 1993. The Claire Palley Building comprises 45 study-bedrooms, all of them en suite. The adjoining Mary Ogilvie Lecture Theatre has a 148-seat capacity.
Trenaman House was constructed in 1995, and received an Oxford Preservation Trust Award in 1996. It offers 26 study-bedrooms, all en suite, in addition to the Middle Common Room (for post-graduates) and IT suite.
The Ruth Deech Building was designed by Kohn Pedersen Fox (KPF), and constructed in 2003-05; it received the 2006 award for Technical Excellence from the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists. The Ruth Deech Building provides 113 study-bedrooms, all en suite, enabling St Anne’s to offer almost all undergraduates a room in College throughout their academic course. In addition, it contains the new College Lodge, three seminar rooms, a 100-seat lecture theatre, and a dining area.
St Anne’s also owns one building outside the College site: Robert Saunders House, built in 1996, an 80-room hall of residence for post-graduate students located in the heart of Summertown (a 5-minute cycle ride north of the College).
In 2007, an English Heritage publication, Shared Interest, cited St Anne's College among the 30 best heritage-led development schemes. Dr Andrew Brown, English Heritage's regional director for the south-east, stated that St Anne's is one of three examples in Oxford of:
exemplary schemes that show what can be gained from seeing heritage as a positive asset. Uniting the finest old and new architecture secures the future of our most valuable buildings and improves quality of life for the people who live and work nearby. Schemes like this provide a further layer of heritage for the future.