Degree Days


Booking your Degree Day

Undergraduate or taught Master's students will automatically receive an email near the end of Michaelmas term in their final year of study, with instructions on how to book a degree ceremony. Research students will automatically receive an email with instructions on how to book a degree ceremony once they have been granted leave to supplicate. Further information can be found on the University's Degree Ceremonies website.

Graduating In Absentia

If you wish to collect your degree in absentia (without attending a ceremony in person) you may do so on any degree date, regardless of availability of places. Please contact the Academic Administrator Sophie Okeke.

Contact Sophie Okeke

Historic Graduands

A limited number of places will be available at degree ceremonies to students who have not yet had their degree(s) conferred (‘historic graduands’) and to candidates supplicating for the MA. Availability is dependent on the demand for places. If you wish to be added to a waiting list for a future date, please contact the Academic Administrator Sophie Okeke.

Please note that if you apply for a place at a ceremony there is no guarantee that you will be able to attend on that day. The Academic Office will not be able to notify you of the outcome until the deadline for invited graduands (current students) has passed.


Master of Arts (MA)

Graduates who have been admitted to the degrees of Bachelors of Arts and Bachelors of Fine Art can convert their degree to an MA in, or at any time after, the twenty-first term from their Matriculation (ie, seven years after you started studying at Oxford).

Those admitted to the degrees of MEng, MChem, M.Phys, MMath, MESc, or MBiochem do not convert it to an MA (or take an MA in addition), but from their twenty-first term from Matriculation they are automatically entitled to wear an MA gown.


Degree Certificates

Once you have your degree conferred at a degree ceremony, either in person or in absentia, you will automatically receive a Degree Certificate. If your degree was conferred before February 2010 and you have not received your free Degree Certificate, you may request your first free copy from the Degree Conferrals Office. Please see their website for more details.

For information from the University about replacement of lost certificates and about requesting a proof of award letter for presenting to third parties (such as employers), please see the Oxford University website.