St Anne’s site has grown rapidly in the last century, and it now finds itself at the geographical centre of twenty-first century Oxford, opposite the new Radcliffe Observatory Quarter, the University’s most ambitious project in over a century.
The College has a tradition of commissioning high quality modern buildings, beginning with Hartland House. This was designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, begun in 1937, and finished with an addition to the eastern end in 1973: it is listed Grade II. It houses the College library, the Junior Common Room (for undergraduates) and Senior Common Room (for tutors), some tutors’ rooms, the Academic Office, Treasury, and the Principal's Office.
The Dining Hall, designed by Gerald Banks, was formally opened by HM The Queen in 1959. Hot and cold meals are available every day throughout term-time, and the Hall can seat up to 300 at one sitting. The Dining Hall was completely refurbished in 2012 and the new Kitchen, completed in the same year, has transformed the frontage of St Anne’s on Woodstock Road.
The Wolfson and Rayne buildings – which were designed by Howell, Killick, Partridge and Amis in 1964 – are also listed Grade II; the former received an RIBA award in 1966, while the latter received a Civic Trust Award in 1969. They comprise two four-storey halls of residence with 90 study-bedrooms.
The Claire Palley Building and Mary Ogilvie Lecture Theatre were designed by the Alec French Partnership, and constructed in 1992; the buildings received an RIBA Regional Award in 1993. The Claire Palley Building comprises 45 study-bedrooms, all of them en suite. The adjoining Mary Ogilvie Lecture Theatre has a 148-seat capacity.
The new Library and Academic Centre (completed in 2016) provides a variety of new study and seminar spaces and 1,500 metres of bookshelves for our growing collection of books. The new Library complements our original Grade II listed library in Hartland House designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, the façade of which has now been revealed to Woodstock Road. Designed by Fletcher Priest Architects plans for the new Library were inspired by Oxford’s historic buildings, and it has been designed to last for centuries.
Trenaman House was constructed in 1995, and received an Oxford Preservation Trust Award in 1996. It offers 26 study-bedrooms, all en suite, in addition to the St Anne’s Coffee Shop (STACS) and Fitness Rooms.
Eleanor Plumer House, an elegant victorian building on Banbury Road, houses the St Anne’s Graduate Centre. It includes a large Common Room for graduates, IT facilities, a large kitchen and bedrooms for 13 graduates.
The Ruth Deech Building was designed by Kohn Pedersen Fox (KPF), and constructed in 2003-05; it received the 2006 award for Technical Excellence from the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists. It provides 113 study-bedrooms, all en suite. In addition, it contains the College Lodge, three seminar rooms, a 100-seat lecture theatre, and a dining area.
Around the campus perimeter are 19 Victorian houses, all owned by the College, providing housing for 109 of our students and teaching rooms for many of our tutors.
St Anne’s also owns one building outside the College site: Robert Saunders House, built in 1996, an 80-room hall of residence for post-graduate students located in the heart of Summertown (a 5-minute cycle ride north of the College).