Medical Support

Medical Support

Who should I call?

If you’re feeling unwell, are injured or require medication, contraception or sexual health support, we can help you find the right person to contact. 


Key contacts

Medical Emergency

In an emergency dial 999 for an ambulance                         If on college site, please inform the Lodge 01865 274800 so they may direct the emergency services to your location

Urgent Medical Advice

For urgent but non-emergency medical advice dial 111 or visit​  

The Lodge Staff, Assistant Deans and College Nurse are trained in first aid so may be able to assist you with an injury.

General Medical Support

For any medical concerns relating to your physical or mental health you may contact the college Doctor or the college nurse.                                                                      They can assist with most medical concerns including feeling unwell, minor injuries, sleep disturbance, eating disturbance, addiction, contraception and sexual health, experiencing mental health difficulties e.g. anxiety and panic attacks, low mood, depression, and suicidal thoughts.​

College Doctor

A General Practitioner (GP) based in a community health centre:                                                                                          Dr Leaver & Partners                                                        Jericho Health Centre, New Radcliffe House, Walton Street  (T) 01865 311234   Email:

College Nurse

The college nurse is based on college site in 27 Banbury Road on the ground floor.  Book an appointment using the online booking service


Information about Sexual Health

Sexual Health Clinics Oxfordshire offer a full range of services – genitourinary medicine (GUM) and contraception, testing for and treatment of sexually transmitted infections (STIs), all contraception types including emergency contraception, advice on safer sex, relationships, drug use or other health related issues, and HIV care.

Churchill Hospital, Old Road, Headington, Oxford OX3 7LE (T) 01865 231231 (phones answered 0900 – 1700 Monday to Thursday and 0900 – 1600 on Friday; please call between 0900 – 1300 for appointments and test results) 

Info for visiting students / students from abroad

Students from the UK or Ireland, or those with indefinite leave to remain or those who have been granted pre-settled status or settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme are eligible for free treatment under the National Health Service (NHS). EU, EEA and Swiss Students who were living in the UK before 31 December 2020 and are eligible but have not yet applied for the EU Settlement Scheme will need to apply before the deadline of 30 June 2021 to continue to be able to access the NHS services free of charge.

If you are visiting for a short period from the EU, EEA or Switzerland i.e. for 6 months or less you should bring your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) if you are eligible to continue using it in the UK, see the UK Government website for changes as a result of Brexit.

Students who require a visa (those not from the UK or Ireland, or those who do not hold indefinite leave to remain or pre-settled or settled status) and are studying full time for more than 6 months will need to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) as part of a visa application to access the NHS services free of charge. Family members coming to the UK as dependents will also need to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge to be eligible for the same access to the NHS.

If you have not previously registered with a UK doctor, make sure you do this on arrival. Your college will help you with this process as you will need the NHS number provided after your register in case you need a COVID-19 test at any time in the future. Individual hospitals are responsible for checking whether a patient is entitled to free treatment, in accordance with the relevant regulations. In order to establish entitlement, hospitals can ask you to provide documentation that supports you and your family’s claim. If you are unsure whether you are entitled to free hospital treatment, check with the Department of Health at: Room 4W04b, Quarry House Quarry Hill Leeds LS2 7UE Tel: 0113 2545819 Email:

If you are not exempt from hospital charges, or only partially exempt for other reasons, you are advised to take out appropriate private healthcare insurance for the length of your stay in the UK. For primary healthcare, you are advised to register with your college doctor or other local General Practitioner (GP).

Have you got insurance?

It is advisable to have travel insurance to cover your luggage, personal possessions, money and medical costs for your journey and first few days here. If you are planning to take out an insurance policy which covers you for the length of your course in the UK, you may find that this also covers your journeys to and from home at the start and end of each term.